New Unique Content
Unique Muskoka tells the story behind these subjects and more. With outstanding articles and photography, Unique Muskoka informs readers on issues of the day, what’s happening and things to do.
Writer's Set $30,000 Goal for this Year's Muskoka Novel Marathon
This year, the Muskoka Novel Marathoners have set the bar high with an inspiring goal of $30,000 to donate to the adult literacy programs in Muskoka.
Usually, the 40 available seats for writers are filled quickly – sometimes within minutes – but this year the marathon has several seats available for new or returning writers who wish to join the ranks. In light of this, the marathon committee has put together a fun list of ten reasons why they think any aspiring author should take the plunge;
10. It’s a way to get away from the rest of your life for 72 hours devoted completely to writing.
9. It’s an opportunity to help adults who don’t know how to read to learn how – setting them free in their lives. We are powerful. We make a major difference. By asking good people around us to sponsor us, we collectively raise more than $30,000 per year.
8. You’ll be meeting fellow writers and building new friendships with like-minded members of your tribe. You’ll be amazed how soon you feel at home.
7. You can write about anything you want. You can take a break whenever you want. Sleeping is optional.
6. You’re in a beautiful facility (part of the Canada Summit Centre in Huntsville, Ontario) in a friendly small town in gorgeous Muskoka. On your breaks, you can swim in the Muskoka River nearby, visit local taverns, shop or do touristy things.
5. If you wish, you can submit your work for feedback and prestigious prizes, one of which is an inside track to an editor at a publishing house.
4. There are lots of other prizes up for grabs: top fundraiser, most prolific, rookie of the year, next year’s seat guaranteed if you raise over $1,000, and many more.
3. Anyone who loves to write can join and has an equal opportunity to get a seat. We’ve had published authors. We’ve had people writing a long work for the first time in their lives. We’ve had 12 and 13-year-old kids. We’ve had someone unpublished whose Novel Marathon manuscript went on to become a bestseller.
2. For $100, it’s a deal. We feed you three square meals a day and you can “indoor camp” at our venue.
1. It is three solid days that are all about your writing. No other demands, requirements, distractions – just total commitment to doing what you most love to do, in the company of others who feel the same way. There is no other experience like it.
To date the event has raised over $202,000 in its 17 years of existence and has aided in
jumpstarting the writing careers of many writers, some who have gone on to become published
For more information, and to register as a writer in the marathon visit
Other News Articles You May Be Interested In
Article by Dawn Huddlestone/ Photography by Kelly Holinshead If you’ve never heard the name Alexis Taylor, hold on. The Huntsville-born singer-songwriter, who...
Jun 26, 2019